About Me

I was raised in the rural community of Likely British Columbia just north of Williams Lake. This rural community shaped who I am. Likely is a community of less then 300, with no cell service and limited internet. When people visit, they feel like they have wondered to the unknown, me I have always felt at home. I enjoy hunting, quading, fishing, and camping all things that are easy to do in my community. I attended the small rural elementary school in Likely from grades K-7. It was here where I first started to grow into the person I am now. It was in this school that I developed a passion for helping others and for making people laugh. My nickname growing up was “Mother Miah” often you would find me taking care of my cousins or my little brother. Teaching them to tie their shoes, or  how to read. I had a passion for children even when I was one myself. As I grew so did my love for Children. In my teen years I spent every summer volunteering at Camp Likely. Following my path with heart into adult hood I soon got a job working for an after school program while attending Thompson Rivers University, as the years went on I worked towards my Early Childhood Educator Assistant certificate and spent many years working for Kid-Care Daycare in Williams lake, all while continuing my post-secondary education. The day I was accepted into the education Program at UNBC was a day I will remember and cherish for the rest of my life. Through my years in school I had times of disappointment and times when I questioned if I was on the right path. Receiving that acceptance letter brought tears to my eyes and comfort to my heart knowing this was the path I was always meant to be on and the path I will follow for years to come.

As I attended my second year of the Bachelor of Education program, I reflect on all the things that brought me here. Without experiences and failures and hardship I wouldn’t be here learning with my Cohort and building relationships that will last a lifetime. Soon we will be in the workforce putting all that we have learned into practice. We are lifelong learners  we are will always be growing and developing. This program continues to shape and challenge me and open my eyes to what it truly means to be an educator.

“Education is not about obscure facts and little test scores. Education is about the overall affects of years of slow absorption. Concepts, philosophies, approaches to problem solving. The whole process is so grand and all-encompassing.”

– George Feeny

I Vow

As I embark on my journey as an educator, I have set vows for myself to live by everyday. I vow to put my students first. I vow to teach the whole child. I vow to be fluid and continue my journey as a lifelong learner. I vow to love and respect the relationships I build with each student. I vow to help my students love learning and the power knowledge gives them. I vow to foster curious creative learners. I vow to be mindful and kind. I vow to work as a team with my students and those who have their best interest at heart. I vow to do good.