My Philosophy

“Education is not about obscure facts and little test scores. Education is about the overall affects of years of slow absorption. Concepts, philosophies, approaches to problem solving. The whole process is so grand and all-encompassing.”
-George Feeny

When I first heard this quote, it went over my head, my experience in school as a child was nothing but the facts and test scores that were forced upon us. As I grow, develop and build upon my passion to teach, I realize how relevant this quote is. Education is not about those facts that were once thought to be so important, facts that you couldn’t imagine sending a child into the real world without knowing. Test scores that could make or break a child’s future. I know now and I think the world is begging to understand that education is about concepts, philosophies, experiences, relationships and so much more. Education is about creating humans that will go out into this world and do good, not necessarily do well, but do good.

In order to understand why I hold the beliefs I do you must understand who I am, and how my experiences have impacted my beliefs. I grew up in a small community of 300 people. I attended a small rural school up until grade seven. I then spent my high school years at a private Christian School where my faith became the biggest part of my life. If you turn back the clock to a young Mariah, you see a student who was immersed in the theory of education that believes formative assessment’s and testing are the most important thing. I grew up in an essentialist system and struggled to blend in with my peers. As I fell behind, my love for learning fell with it. I started to think of school as a place where I go during the day to tell jokes and be publicly shamed for my test scores. A child who once had a passion to learn no longer saw the value in education. As attending a private Christian School, it played an important role in my philosophy of education. Being apart of this conservative system instilled in me their beliefs and values, that still remain a part of who I am today.

From the age of five to seventeen I was surrounded by one system, this system molded me, I couldn’t fight it or prevent it because it was all I knew. I don’t look back and feel angry with my struggles through school instead I see why I value the things I do. When I look at essentialism within the education system, I find many things that I don’t agree with, like standardized testing, worksheets, and note taking. I can’t help but feel sad and disappointed with a system that is put into place to make obedient disciplined students. I look at any child and I feel warmth and joy, so why did the school system work so hard to take that out of their children? However, what I value about essentialism is the emphasis it places on preparing a child for the real world, and to be functioning members of society. In most cases as educators we see a child for one year and then we never see them again, eventually that child will grow up and join the real world. The thought of this overwhelms me, if I only get one year to impact that child, I want to do everything in my power to help them succeed. I believe essentialism had it right in preparing children for the real world, but I feel that they went about it in the wrong way. It is through this theory that I lead into why I want to be a progressive educator.

“If we teach todays students as we taught yesterdays, we rob them of a tomorrow.”
– John Dewey

I hold the progressive philosophy above all else. I look at this theory and the new BC curriculum and I feel hope for the future. I think of Jean- Jacques Rousseau and how he thought children possessed a natural goodness that was corrupted by adults, and all I can say to that is “Amen.” I spent a year working as an educational assistant, while also working at a daycare, and time and time again I heard the phrase “watch out for him he’s a bad kid.” I fully believe that every child is born good, it is through nurture and the world around us that we lose that goodness. I know every psychologist will argue with me that it is nature and nurture working together, but I’m here to say they are wrong. Every child has potential and I vow to put in the effort to reach my students.

“No significant learning occurs without a significant relationship”
-James Corner.

When I reflect on the teachers who had a positive impact on me, I reflect more so on our relationship rather than any content they ever taught me. As educators we have the ability to be the positive relationship in that student’s life. We don’t know how that child’s home life is, are they being fed, being protected, being loved?  I want my students to know that no matter what goes on outside of school they can come into my classroom and know what its like to feel loved and protected. The relationships you build in school will forever have an impact on you. For a few lucky people out there you stay connected to the people who influenced you during your informative years. I think that’s why we as educators need to be mindful of our relationships and the responsibility we have to our students.

The more we continue to educate ourselves the better we can be for our students. I want to immerse myself in knowledge so I can continue to understand every child that walks through my door. Being a trauma informed educator will provide us with the tools needed to benefit our students.  We have the power to reach out and touch every child in our class, again this may only be for one year but that could be the best year of that child’s life.  A memory that they will cling to in a time of need.  I value teaching the whole child; educating a child on their body, mind, emotion, and spirit. Your body, mind, emotion, and spirit are all essential parts of who you are and play an essential role in how you thrive in society. This holistic approach will help me to reach every aspect of my students. I am setting them up to do good in the world and to do good within their own body and soul.

“In the course of your education you have always been taught to look for the right answer. But you must also know that in life, sometimes the right answer is that there isn’t one.”
– George Feeny

Failure is important, its often our failures that have the biggest impact on our lives. In a classroom where children are learning by doing and having an interactive role in their education, they see the importance of success as well as the importance of failure. When a child is given the opportunity to build, create, or manipulate things, we are fostering an educational experience that will stick with them longer then any test score or worksheet.

“If you search your heart and listen to its instruction, you won’t go wrong.”
– George Feeny

As my life as an educator unfolds my philosophy will unfold with it. I know my ideas will change and will be expanded on as I experience more and more everyday. If I go into this career with an open heart and open mind my success will know no bounds.  When a newly wed couple get’s married and embarks on their life together they read their vows to one another. As I embark on my journey as an educator, I have set vows for myself to live by everyday.

I vow to put my students first. I vow to teach the whole child. I vow to be fluid and continue my journey as a lifelong learner. I vow to love and respect the relationships I build with each student. I vow to help my students love learning and the power knowledge gives them. I vow to foster curious creative learners. I vow to be mindful and kind. I vow to work as a team with my students and those who have their best interest at heart. I vow to do good.

Pink Shirt Day Activity