Learning Beyond the Classroom

Learning through the Land

Capturing an experience

The air is ice the wind screams and hollers all around me, I plant my feet firm in the earth to steady myself as a strong gust blows my way and nocks me off balance. I stand still and listen, the wind is loud, but the rush of the river is louder. As I walk and observe the world around me, I see the tracks of buffalo in the thick mud. My feet squish in the ground beneath me, I stumbled though the mud trying to get to quitter softer ground. Every step I take makes a loud gummy noise that echoes through the trees around me, I look behind to see my family walking in my footsteps, following every step I take though the mud as we search for the hard dry leaves up ahead. We are silent but the world around us is in a constant state of sound. The birds sing and warn the animals ahead of our arrival. The river rushes in the distance and the wind continues to howl around us. My spine stiffens as a gust of wind sends shivers through my core. My legs ache and my lungs burn as we climb steeper up the mountain. I close my eyes and think of the early morning hours waking by the fire, the heat and the smell of smoke still linger in my memory. I imagine being warm in my shelter covered and protected form the wind. A part of me yearns to turn back and head to where I know I am safe and warm. Yet my stomach flips as the butterflies of anticipation flutter within me. I know we are close; the buffalo are near. You can smell them in the air, their musty aroma fills my nostril as we trudge through the trees. I know the meadow is just ahead and if we push through, we will be blessed with the site of the herd. As the wind pushes us back, we stand as one ready to round the path into the open fields ahead. We stand strong bracing ourselves for what is ahead. The mighty buffalo.

Last week I was allowed the opportunity to go on a hunting trip with my family in the Sikanni Chief area. I wanted to share this free write I did while gone and share some photos of my time. This was an opportunity to learn and grow outside of the classroom and I am so grateful to be given the opportunity to learn in this way. I was able to connect to the Land and continue to show my appreciation for all things this Earth provides us. Being able to interact and connect with a new place and all it has to offer us was something that can not happen virtually and I am grateful for this experience.

Your students do not need to be present within the walls of the classroom to experience the joys of learning

The Sikanni Chief River

Sikanni Chief Falls

Sikanni Chief Falls

Three Generations of Bouchards

The Meadow Featured in the Story